Sep 9, 2010

POSE Running Method


I am off to Toronto this weekend to attend a POSE Running Certification!

The Pose Method® is a system for teaching of human movement developed by a 2-time Olympic Coach Dr. Nicholas S. Romanov in 1977 in the former Soviet Union. The name of the method comes from the word "pose" or "body position".

If you analyze the movement of any body through time and space, you will clearly see that the body passes through an infinite number of positions. Most of the positions (or poses) are transitional movements and are the result, not the cause, of proper positioning.

For more info on the POSE method, visit this website.

4 comments:

Matt C said...

From a purely performance standpoint this article indicates that POSE running probably decreases you performance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16195026&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

There is also one article which implies increase performance, although the abstract is pretty vague saying "not significant" while having a 24.7s improvement?
http://www.posetech.com/library/sr-GF-0002.html

There certainly doesn't seem to be the background research to support all the increase performance claims on the POSE website.

Matt

Rick said...

Thanks Matt,

This is interesting. It is one study done with a specific group who were already triathletes and had probably "mastered" their own style of running.

I feel that the POSE method would be much more beneficial to the "weekend warrior" or general fitness enthusiast who wants to reduce their instance of injury from running improperly.

It is like barefoot running, and much more in line with the way we are meant to run.

The course will be interesting ...

Jay said...

I'm coming

Rick said...

This turned out to be one of the most interesting training courses I have been on.

Dr. Romanov has really changed my perception of what movement is and how it happens.

With some key changes to the way I use my body, he has shown me how I can become a much more efficient runner and avoid injury.

I did pass the certification and am now qualified as a Level 1 POSE running instructor. I'm looking forward to practicing what I learned and sharing it with others.